5 Tips for Keeping Your Teeth and Gums Healthy
In addition to brushing twice a day and flossing once a day, you should see your dentist in Fort McMurray at least once or twice a year to keep your teeth and gums healthy. But there are other things you can do at home as well to keep those pearly whites healthy and bright.
Here are our top 5 oral health tips
- Avoid sugary foods and drinks. Sucrose, most familiar to us as granulated sugar, is the number one cause of tooth decay. Most people know that things like cookies, cakes, candies and carbonated drinks are high in sugar but few realize that other starchy foods (such as breads and cereals) are major offenders as well. Sugary foods and drinks erode tooth enamel opening the door for tooth decay.
- Eat a well-balanced diet of whole foods. A diet rich in vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients is vital for maintaining healthy teeth and gums. Whole-foods include whole grains, nuts and seeds, fruits and vegetables, fish and meats. Many of these foods have naturally occurring fluoride which can reduce the rate of cavities by up to 60 percent.
- Consume plenty of calcium. Calcium is essential in keeping your teeth and bones strong. In order for our bodies to absorb calcium, you need vitamin D as well. Your best sources of calcium and vitamin D are from consuming milk, fortified soy beverages, fortified orange juice and eating broccoli, yogurt and cheese. In fact, eating aged cheeses at the end of a meal can actually help prevent cavities.
- Chew sugarless gum after meals. If you are unable to brush or floss your teeth immediately after a meal, chewing sugar-free gum is your next best defense against cavities. Chewing gum increases the flow of saliva in the mouth which washes away bacteria and food particles and neutralizes acid production.
- Avoid smoking or using smokeless tobacco products. Tobacco is detrimental to your teeth and gums. Not only does it cause bad breath, but it also stains your teeth and increases your risk of gum disease, oral cancer and other serious health problems. Consider quitting if you smoke and discourage your children from starting by educating them on the health risks.
Finding a family dentist in Fort McMurray
At River City Dental Clinic, our caring team provides comfortable dental services to Fort McMurray residents of all ages.
We are your partner in keeping your teeth and gums healthy and your smile looking great. We provide total dentistry at our Fort McMurray dental centre, including family care, restorative work and cosmetic dentistry.
We are always accepting new patients. To book an appointment with a dentist in Fort McMurray contact our clinic today!